Sunday, May 10, 2009

Coming to the end

Yesterday I left Perth. I successfully completed 2 of the 5 flights I will be on this week. Leaving Perth was sad. It was so beautiful there & I was having a blast with Debbie. Unfortunately things got frustrating as soon as I stepped into the airport.

They could not check my bag all the way to Auckland because I had booked the tickets separately (even though it was the same airline). This really stressed me out because I wasn’t sure if I’d have enough time to get my bags, recheck-in & rush through the airport. Because I was irritated already every little thing on the plane drove me nuts. I just put my headphones on & tried to zone out. Once we landed I raced to get my bags. Said a sad goodbye to Ashley (it’s so weird to be leaving the people I’ve been traveling with & not knowing when I’ll see them again). Then took the train to the international terminal, which I had to pay $5 to ride. Isn’t that ridiculous? What airport charges you to get from one part of the airport to the other?

Once I reached the International Terminal all my worries went away. The woman who checked me in was very nice & polite. I was able to get a window seat. Spent my last five Australian dollars on a great magazine that kept me entertained most of the flight (it was Healthy Women, the Australian version) & I had enough time to grab dinner without having to rush to catch my flight.

I was very productive on the airplane. I read, journalled & made lists (I love lists). Things were going great & I felt much better now. As the plane was coming in for a landing though it made a sudden drop, more drastic than any other drop I’ve experienced on a plane. I was airborne for a couple seconds. My stomach remained airborne a little longer. All the passenger’s heads bobbed up in the air & they let out various gasps. I think everyone was shocked. Luckily the pilot gained control & we landed safely, but boy we were all worried there for a minute.

After departing Perth at 10am I arrived in Auckland 11:50pm. Took a shuttle to my hostel & crashed for the night. Today I closed my bank account. This was when it really hit me – I’m leaving New Zealand… tomorrow! I can’t believe its really happening. I’m going to miss this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment