Jan 13, 2016 - In the morning we went to Cuverville Island. Here there is a
large Gentoo penguin colony. Have you noticed a trend? Everywhere we go there
are Gentoo penguins. I’ve probably seen a billion in the 4 days I’ve been in
Antarctica. A couple Chinstrap and Adelie penguins have been seen
intermittently amongst the Gentoos, but we did not see one of their colonies. Cuerville
Island also has huge cliff faces with nesting birds, and glaciers tucked in
amongst the mountains. Here we circumnavigated the island. We saw some
incredible ice and glaciers. As we came around the backside of the island there
was a sailboat anchored near the shore. We looked up to see 5 people
mountaineering up the side of the mountain. Very intense.
After kayaking for a couple hours we went to the landing
site. There was another Gentoo penguin colony. Here we took a different
approach to viewing the penguins. Kyle sat down by one of the penguin highways
(That is the path the penguins carve out to get from their nesting area to the
water). He set up the GoPro to watch the little guys waddle back and forth to
and from the sea. I went to another area to just sit and observe. The penguins
will get very close to you when you’re perfectly still. While we were there a
baby penguin hatched. Some friends of ours caught it all on camera. I was there
just after its birth. Lots of penguins throughout the trip had baby chicks with
them. They are so cute and fuzzy!
That afternoon we went to Danco Island. Here we kayaked on
one half of the island. There we observed a seal swimming in the water along
with a few on the ice as well. Those were all Weddell seals. Then we got a call
on the radio that a zodiac had seen a leopard seal! We paddled over there and
watched it for a while. It lifted its head a few times, but otherwise he didn’t
move. Still it is an elusive animal that was really cool to see. There were
also some really neat glaciers in these waters.
Once back onboard the ship it was POLAR PLUNGE time. We
changed from our kayaking dry suits into regular swimsuits. Apparently it
doesn’t count if you jump in wearing a dry suit. Kyle, some of our friends, and
I were the first ones to go. Just standing on the stairs waiting for my turn I
was shivering. I tried to videotape a friend of mine who went before me, but
the footage is really shaky (Sorry Michelle!). Then it was my turn. They put a
belt around my waist that has a rope on one end (incase you go into shock and
can’t swim). I didn’t count to three. I tried not to think. I just jumped.
Anyone who has seen me try to get into a cold lake in Maryland or Canada
probably can’t imagine me doing this, but I did, and there is video
evidence (that unfortunately I cannot share here). It was incredibly cold. The water is about 1 degree Celsius. Just
above freezing. Icebergs are floating around, and snow covered mountains are
the backdrop. Instantly when I plunged in I wanted out. I scrambled for the
rope to pull myself in (I couldn’t even think clear enough to swim), and
scampered up the ladder. Once out of the water I went to get a towel, but
instantly I was significantly warmer in the air than in the water. Kyle went
right after me. He was much more calm and collected so he made a great pose
while jumping off. Then we watched from one of the higher decks as our other
friends took the plunge. Even some of the staff did it.
After a hot shower we went to dinner and the ship started to
sail back to Argentina. That evening we watched as the last glimpse of the
Antarctic Peninsula faded further and further away. I reflected on our time
here, and how incredibly lucky we have been. First for having the opportunity
to come to Antarctic, a place so few people see, and secondly for the amazing
weather and animal sightings we had while we were down here (it made up for the
terrible day on the Drake). I hope I can come back someday. It makes me sad to
think I may never be here again. It is truly a magical, and beautiful place.












No comments:
Post a Comment