Ice Climbing Franz Joseph Glacier
Monday, March 9, 2009 - Today I went ice climbing on a glacier!!! It was so amazing! We got all geared up at the base with cramp-ons, pick axes, pants, jackets, mits, hats, socks & boots - the whole works. First we hiked through the rainforest at the base of the Franz Joseph glacier. Then we began our ascent. It was very challenging so I got hot quickly. Throughout the trip it was the weirdest combination of hot & cold feelings depending on your level of activity & if the sun was out. Luckily we had beautiful weather & it didn’t rain but a few sprinkles. Our guides were awesome & decided to take us a different way than they usually go. We got to do 3 climbs at that section, one of which we all topped out of (climbed up & over the ledge) & continued our hike. At first ice climbing was so hard. The pick axes were quite heavy & I had to swing them so hard into the ice. Even harder than that though was getting your balance on your feet. By the 3rd climb I had it down. At this point it was 2:00pm and our guide said we were supposed to head back to base, but instead he wanted to take us to another climbing spot. So the adventure continued! (Told ya we had awesome guides!)
We continued to hike a little further. It was amazing to see while we hiked how the glacier is moving & ever changing. There were streams flowing around & under us, as well as large crevasses we had to scurry through. It was so fantastic! The color in the ice was magnificent. At first it just seemed like a giant ice cube, but as I walked about I could see varying shade of blues & white swirling in the ice. It was just gorgeous.
At the next spot we got to do 2 more climbs. One of them was very tough & I was so proud when I made it to the top! In fact I was very proud of myself all day for being able to do all the physically demanding challenges & for never giving up. I was one of 3 girls, and of the 9 total participants I was the smallest. Still I managed to climb very well.
After all that climbing we headed back down the glacier. Trekking back down took no time at all compared to hiking in. We were flying down the ice. Overall we spent from just after 9 am until almost 6 pm on the glacier – roughly 8 hours. Way worth the bunch of money it cost! Memories made that will last a lifetime.
I was taking a look at some of your pics and that one where your at the top looking down threw me for a loop. I couldn't see the top anchor behind your arm. But then I wondered, "how is she just floating like that?" Anyways, that all just looks breathtaking, especially that last picture with those huge mountains! What an experience that must have been. Great job, Sarah! I'm glad you got to climb some in NZ:)
ReplyDelete