We also so some different types of albatross and gorgeous scenery. It was the most fantastic trip ever! Definitely the best thing I've done in New Zealand. So amazing and worth every penny. We were really lucky that we got such a gorgeous day and were able to see so many beautiful creatures.
Sunday, March 1, 2009
Whale Watching!
Kaikoura is one of the best places in the world! Today I went whale watching! It is the coolest thing I have ever done in my life. We were so lucky. First we saw 3 sperm whales! Usually groups only see one or two. There were 2 others in the area that we saw from afar and did not get close to, but 3 we saw up close and personal.
The sperm whale is the 4th largest whale. It is the largest toothed animal in the world with the largest head and the heaviest brain of all animals. They eat anything from little plankton to giant squid! The area we were at in Kaikoura is where the ocean floor drops dramatically at an underwater canyon. It was so cool to think hundreds of feet below us there were sperm whales diving down and giant squid getting out of there way!
Then things just got better! We found a pod of 150 Dusky Dolphins! They did flips & jumps and rode up right next to the boat. It was amazing. They were everywhere! Then we saw around 15 Hector Dolphins! These are the most rare dolphins in the world and are rarely seen. They have beautiful coloring and cute little fins.
Lastly (if things could get any better) we saw a seal that was eating an octopus! He jumped out of the water lashing around. Sea gulls were everywhere trying to get a bite to eat themselves. The seal looked so ferocious. It was incredible!
We also so some different types of albatross and gorgeous scenery. It was the most fantastic trip ever! Definitely the best thing I've done in New Zealand. So amazing and worth every penny. We were really lucky that we got such a gorgeous day and were able to see so many beautiful creatures.
We also so some different types of albatross and gorgeous scenery. It was the most fantastic trip ever! Definitely the best thing I've done in New Zealand. So amazing and worth every penny. We were really lucky that we got such a gorgeous day and were able to see so many beautiful creatures.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
WOW!! Great description, Sarah! I feel like I've just been whale watching with you! Thanks for sharing.....
ReplyDeleteLove,
Aunty Lynn
XO
You are one of my coolest friends! Tim, Kyle and I were all hanging out this past weekend and thinking about you. Tim's cat gave birth on Friday night to four kittens. Labor is kind of a gross thing. Ha. So cool though!
ReplyDeleteThose sound like some pretty aggressive sperm.
Bo
Man that is Outrageous!!!! so cool! 15 of the rarest dolphin! that has to be like a quarter of them...and you saw them all at once!
ReplyDeleteUnbelievable!! A little known fact about me: I used to be way big into whales. I had a shirt with all the different kinds of whales on it. It was my favorite. I used to listen to these tapes that my Granddad gave me of whales talking with each other. I remember in like 1st or 2nd grade bringing those tapes to class and the whole class listened to it. Everyone was so bored by it and thought I was weird afterward, but I just thought they were the coolest animals! I still like them, but I think if I were to be an animal it would be an owl. Night-vision, hearing, silent flight, etc. I'm glad you got that experience, wish I could have been there. Sperm whales can dive like more than a mile down...that is just unfathomable to me. I mean, think about running a mile and how many breaths you take.
ReplyDeletei want your life.
ReplyDeletethat is all.