Today I went and toured Parliament. It was a wonderful tour, which was free, and the coolest part was that we got to go sit in on the Public Gallery of the House. There we got to watch the different members of parliament debate. Recently the National party has taken over the majority, and the Labor Party had a lot to complain about. There was much yelling and scoffing. On the wall of the stairwell leading up to the House was a New Zealand flag that had been in the World Trade Center on 9/11. It had been dug out of the rubble and given back to New Zealand. They hang it on the wall in remembrance of those who lost their lives on that day. I thought that was a very nice and respectful thing to do.
Outside Parliament there was a protest going on over the genocide of the Tamil people in India, and genocide in Sri Lanka as well. I love to see protests and I’ve seen a few since my arrival t
I’m leaving Wellington on Monday and heading for Christchurch with Toph and Ashley. Before we go though there are 2 festivals this weekend in Wellington so more to come soon.
I guess it must be said, and who better to tell you than me...what a hippie. haha :)
ReplyDelete